Monday, December 15, 2008

I didn't know how "dead" I was...

until I was alive again.
We spent Saturday with our family for our annual Christmas gathering. It was the best of both worlds. The bad - it continues to be heartbreaking to watch my mother sit in the midst of her children and grandchildren and be unable to enjoy the rewards of a parenting job well done and a life well-spent. The good? Lots of good...
We cooked a huge low country boil. Thankfully turkey sausage and boiled shrimp are on my "approved" list and I enjoyed a taste of both. More importantly, though, it was a pleasure to stand outside over a cooking pot of food and not have to sit down and take a tremendous load off my feet, knees and ankles. This sounds like small potatoes to some, but a few short months ago I was barely able to stand through a complete hymn at church. I broke out with the sweats and lower extremities ROARED with pain. Saturday, I not only stood up to cook for an extended period of time, I played basketball with nephews and nieces and and made many trips to and from the car up a long hill of a driveway. And Saturday evening's schedule didn't include painkillers or hot baths. I could've done it all over again with no problem. Again, I sound like one of those weepy fools on a Richard Simmons infomercial, but I really am alive again. It feels good.

No comments: