Friday, February 6, 2009

Lagging behind...

Ok, so I'm behind. This subject matter was stuff I meant to deal with LAST Friday. It's been a crazy week with work, work, oh and there was also work.
Last Friday night my bride and I acted like we were 25 again (well, we acted like I acted when I was 25...she was a better-behaved 25 year-old than myself.) Anyway, an old friend of mine has been after me forever to go hear his band. They're The Bearfoot Hookers, producers of what they call "Beer drinkin' gospel" music. It's good stuff. It's a lot like the stuff he and I used to listen to in many a wee hour in his basement back in our younger days. They've been quite successful in the storied music scene over in Athens and they'll soon be recording a third album. Therein lies the problem - y'all know that I avoid Athens at all costs. But on this particular Friday night they were at the Sweetwater Bar & Grill in Duluth - much friendlier environs - so we went to check them out.
Problem - they're the headliners of three bands playing that night, meaning they'll start about 12:30. There was a day when I used to head out at 12:30 on a Friday night but those days have passed. If I'm awake after midnight these days it's because nature's called. So around 7:30 we took a nap. That's right, we went to bed at 7:30 and set the alarm for 10:00. Thank God it was wintertime...if it'd been summer it would've still been daylight. I am officially old.
The reunion with my old friend was an excellent time. His band was good and he was glad to see me. I told him that I was sorry I'd avoided this evening for so long, but there was no way in the world I wanted anyone from 'the old days' to see me at by biggest. He rolled his eyes...."you're weight's not who you are, Tim. It's still not, even though you've lost a lot and look great. Everything that makes you fun to be around and a good person is still there no matter what body it's living in..." I mustered up the manliest guy hug I could and we promised that we'd come out to his house soon for dinner. He wants to check out songs I've been writing and see what can be done with them. I've actually been writing new stuff and touching up old stuff in anticipation of this happening. I do appreciate his comments...but I wouldn't have had the confidence for any of this to be happening 220 pounds ago. Life's good.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

. . .not a WORD about Wednesday's signing day?!?!?! Oh, you're saving that for its own post. .. I get it! ;)